Advanced maths qualifications benefit all students who’ve passed GCSE Mathematics. However, a lower proportion of girls opt for them than boys. The Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (AMSP) aims to increase participation in the advanced maths qualifications – Core Maths, AS/A level Mathematics, and Further Mathematics – and improve the teaching of these qualifications.
Rachel Beddoes is the Girls’ Participation Coordinator and Careers Lead for Mathematics in Education and Industry, on the Advanced Maths Support Programme. In this session from the Women in STEM Conference of 2021, Rachel shared the aims of the AMSP, attitudes towards STEM subjects by gender, and strategies to tackle low self-esteem and cognitive bias that hold girls back from studying STEM.
Register now to continue accessing this page
- Access to a dedicated public sector resource that you read, see and hear.
- More than 50 new articles per month
- Insights into how to deliver better public services
- The latest best practice in your sector
- Evidence base case study focused videos, original articles, interviews and more
- Save time by personalising your MGC to only see the relevant content you need
- Automatically earn and track your CPD points
- Discounts to Government Events and GovPD training courses
- Monthly update newsletter