At least 4.4 million people with hearing loss are of working age in the UK. The employment rate for those with hearing loss is 65% compared to 79% of people with no long-term health issues or disabilities.
James Watson O’Neill is Chief Executive of the national deaf health charity SignHealth, which offers social care, psychological therapy, and domestic abuse support to deaf people, provided by deaf people, in British Sign Language. James brings their lived experience as a disabled person, along with 20 years of experience in the charity sector, most of which has been spent working in social care provider charities. James is passionate about disability equality and person-centred practice. In this session from the Wellbeing in the Voluntary Sector Conference 2021, James shared the valuable work of SignHealth, as well as an exploration into the importance of promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace, that supports the mental health of the workforce.
Register now to continue accessing this page
Subscribe today and use MGC to discover how your peers, across the country, are implementing policies and driving change so you can learn from their experiences, apply best practice, and develop your expertise.
- Access to a dedicated public sector resource that you read, see and hear.
- More than 50 new articles per month
- Insights into how to deliver better public services
- The latest best practice in your sector
- Evidence base case study focused videos, original articles, interviews and more
- Save time by personalising your MGC to only see the relevant content you need
- Automatically earn and track your CPD points
- Discounts to Government Events and GovPD training courses
- Monthly update newsletter