Daniella Lang is the Headteacher at Brimsdown Primary School in Enfield, in this series of 8 posts she will be sharing her insights on how to support the school community remotely.
At Brimsdown we encourage mindfulness throughout the school for staff and children as there are many benefits for positive mental health and resilience. Mindfulness is maintaining a moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, our feelings, our bodies, and our surroundings. We feel it is important that we tune into what we are feeling at the present moment rather than focussing on the past or imagining the future. By following mindfulness practices, we are increasing positive emotions and reducing negative ones and during these testing times, this is something that is so important for everyone.
So how can you be more mindful? Move out of autopilot. On your daily walk take note of 5 things you see, four you hear, three you smell and two you can touch. When eating your meals savour the flavours and don’t rush when eating. Try to mix things up so don’t stay in the same place working from home but move around the table, take regular breaks, and change rooms. If you have thoughts that are worrying you, name them and take ownership and understand that there are some things that are out of your control, and let go of these anxieties. “Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Make your peace with that and all will be well.” – Jack Kornfield.
Register now to continue accessing this page
Subscribe today and use MGC to discover how your peers, across the country, are implementing policies and driving change so you can learn from their experiences, apply best practice, and develop your expertise.
- Access to a dedicated public sector resource that you read, see and hear.
- More than 50 new articles per month
- Insights into how to deliver better public services
- The latest best practice in your sector
- Evidence base case study focused videos, original articles, interviews and more
- Save time by personalising your MGC to only see the relevant content you need
- Automatically earn and track your CPD points
- Discounts to Government Events and GovPD training courses
- Monthly update newsletter