Over 300 councils in the UK have now declared a climate emergency. Only 100 of these have climate action plans. The public is very much in favour of climate action plans that are led by their local authorities.
The Association for Public Service Excellence (APSE) is a not-for-profit that works with over 300 councils across the UK. APSE hosts a network for public service providers, sharing information and expertise.
APSE run an annual opinion poll to look at the public’s views of frontline public services, as well as major public policy issues. They found that over the last couple of years there has been a huge rise in the public consciousness of climate as an issue.
The network shares ideas in areas such as waste and refuse collection, parks and environmental services, cemeteries, environmental health, leisure, school meals, cleaning, housing, and building maintenance.
Paul O’Brien is Chief Executive of APSE. Paul has commissioned and contributed to over 100 APSE research publications on topics as diverse as housing, energy, finance, scrutiny, commercialisation and devolution.
In this session from the Local Government Climate Action Conference 2021, Paul discussed the impact of climate change and the motivations for local authorities to declare climate emergencies. He also outlined targets set by APSE for local authorities to consider when developing their own Climate Action Plans.
Register now to continue accessing this page
Subscribe today and use MGC to discover how your peers, across the country, are implementing policies and driving change so you can learn from their experiences, apply best practice, and develop your expertise.
- Access to a dedicated public sector resource that you read, see and hear.
- More than 50 new articles per month
- Insights into how to deliver better public services
- The latest best practice in your sector
- Evidence base case study focused videos, original articles, interviews and more
- Save time by personalising your MGC to only see the relevant content you need
- Automatically earn and track your CPD points
- Discounts to Government Events and GovPD training courses
- Monthly update newsletter