Daniella Lang is the Headteacher at Brimsdown Primary School in Enfield, in this series of 8 posts she will be sharing her insights on how to support the school community remotely.
If you are in a leadership position then you have a responsibility to your team. As headteacher, I have a responsibility to all my staff from teachers to cleaners to my site manager to other school leaders. They look to me for guidance, strength, and support. And to me, this is part of what being a leader is all about. Therefore, leading by example is key.
The result of what we do in that difficult moment makes the difference between success and no success. There is hardly anything worse for staff morale than a leader who follows the “Do as I say and not as I do philosophy.” I believe we all have the strength to overcome any situation we find ourselves in – positivity is so important. The moment we face a problem, our emotions being to run wild and many thoughts run through our head, often negative ones. Instead, it is important that we feel with all our emotions and start thinking about how this problem is a learning opportunity and that you and your team are strong enough to get through this. Having resilience helps us to maintain balance in our lives during difficult or stressful periods, and can also protect us from the development of some mental health difficulties and issues and therefore this needs modeling to adults as well as children.
“Remain calm, because peace equals power.”- Joyce Meyer. This sense of calm, resilience, and strength then washes over everyone.
Register now to continue accessing this page
Subscribe today and use MGC to discover how your peers, across the country, are implementing policies and driving change so you can learn from their experiences, apply best practice, and develop your expertise.
- Access to a dedicated public sector resource that you read, see and hear.
- More than 50 new articles per month
- Insights into how to deliver better public services
- The latest best practice in your sector
- Evidence base case study focused videos, original articles, interviews and more
- Save time by personalising your MGC to only see the relevant content you need
- Automatically earn and track your CPD points
- Discounts to Government Events and GovPD training courses
- Monthly update newsletter