There was an 18% increase in honour-based abuse recorded by the police in England and Wales between 2020 and 2021. Honour-based crimes are underreported as victims are often reluctant to go to the police or unable to speak up.
Anup Manota is an Operations Manager at Karma Nirvana. Karma Nirvana is a specialist charity for victims and survivors of honour-based abuse, supporting, educating and empowering those impacted. Anup supports victims of honour-based abuse and forced marriage on the Karma Nirvana Honour Network’s helpline and is responsible for structural and strategic developments within the charity.
In this video, Anup defines what honour-based abuse is and shares signs for organisations to look out for. He gives insights into strategies that can help overcome some of the barriers victims face in getting help.
Register now to continue accessing this page
Subscribe today and use MGC to discover how your peers, across the country, are implementing policies and driving change so you can learn from their experiences, apply best practice, and develop your expertise.
- Access to a dedicated public sector resource that you read, see and hear.
- More than 50 new articles per month
- Insights into how to deliver better public services
- The latest best practice in your sector
- Evidence base case study focused videos, original articles, interviews and more
- Save time by personalising your MGC to only see the relevant content you need
- Automatically earn and track your CPD points
- Discounts to Government Events and GovPD training courses
- Monthly update newsletter